Wednesday 11 December 2013

D.K's Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise and Ginger

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Sandi Thom ~ Let It Stay
Deana Carter ~ Did I Shave My Legs For This?
Marvin Gaye ~ You're All I Need To Get By
Foo Fighters ~ Virginia Moon
PCD ~ Feelin' Good
Deap Vally ~ New Material
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons ~ Winter
Buckcherry ~ Drink The Water
Mike Patton ~ Deep Down
Sammy Davis Jr ~ What Kind Of Fool Am I
Halestorm ~ The Children
Calvin Harris ~ Feel So Close
Martina McBride ~ Cry, Cry (Till The Sun Shines)
Dead Sara ~ Heart Shaped Box

Are you one of those people that struggle with the sweetness that often accompanies a butternut squash soup? You are? Me too. I find them on the whole too sweet and it ruins them for me. I am naturally a more savoury food person but this doesn't stop me from trying out new recipes. There are some I love Spiced Lentil & Butternut Soup/Stew but it's the heavy use of lentils and garam masala that make that soup for me. And I have tried many butternut soups...both home made and a couple of store bought varieties. I want to enjoy it...really...I do. And then today happened....

I was flicking through my copy of Donna Klein's A Chinese Vegan Kitchen...yes, yes, yes...I admit..I am slightly obsessed with this cook book and I may probably end up cooking all the recipes from it...lol...but when a cook book is this good...why not, eh? lol. Anyway...I was flicking through and found this recipe using butternut as the main ingredient. I had one that needed using so I decided to give it go....

The recipe is very simple and only has minimal chopping...once you have cooked down the shallot/red onion, ginger and star anise its a simple all in recipe. Twenty minutes later you have a smooth soup that has a heady aroma. My sister was here when I was finishing the cooking process and she had a good portion..to test!..lol..and she really enjoyed it. And she dislikes butternut soup more than I do. Later for my lunch I tried a bowlful...oh savoury soup heaven!!! This soup has little or no sweetness...it is packed with savoury flavours and it is light in texture. It was a perfect combination for me...and I have finally found a fantastic butternut soup recipe. Woo! Once again Ms Klein delivers a great recipe...

Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise and Ginger

Butternut Soup with Star Anise and Ginger    Serves 4
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)

In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger and star anise and cook, stirring, until shallot is just softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is softened and not browned, 1 - 2 minutes. Add squash, stock, water, salt and pepper, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. 

Remove and discard the star anise. Blend the soup by your preferred method until smooth. Add back to the pot and reheat adding the sesame oil and soy sauce. Stirring occasionally. Serve warm and garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been filled with laughter...

~Red~