Friday 6 December 2013

Creamy Vegan Marinara Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

KORN ~ Bleeding Out
Norah Jones ~ Shoot The Moon
Martina McBride ~ Whatever You Say
Ella Fitzgerald ~ I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good
KORN ft Amy Lee ~ Freak On A Leash
Slade ~ Everyday
Crowded House ~ Four Seasons In One Day
Texas ~ Black Eyed Boy
Suzi Quatro ~ Move It
Annie Lennox ~ Waiting In Vain
Brandi Carlile ~ Again Today/Hiding My Heart
Seasick Steve ~ My Youth
The Cranberries ~ Analyse (Live)
Edith Piaf ~ La Vie En Rose

Update: Sadly since writing this post the floods have taken their toll on my nearest and dearest. My sisters house got flooded out last night...they are all safe but their belongings are ruined. It's quite a sad time and tomorrow I shall be busy comforting and caring for them if we are spared by the floods tonight. So I'll be back soon...stay safe everyone near...~Red~

Well yesterday morning I watched as my fire pit, my garden furniture, all of my recycling, my bins and my basketball hoop all went flying by my kitchen window. We experienced a little wind problem here...also a flood alert but that was nearer my poor sister and her family...so yesterday evening I was keeping everything crossed for them. We were predicted Arctic weather so were prepared for the cold but these winds and the flooding has caught us all on the hop. The wind has been so strong that my lounge windows started to groan under the strain. Super...interesting times...but then reality check time reminds me that this is nothing compared to what others have experienced recently.

So I made myself keep busy by making a vat of fresh tomato soup...and this I know...sieving freshly made soup makes me 1. look like a True Blood extra 2. bored out of my mind. It is for sure one of the few cooking duties I hate to do. Hopefully the results will be enjoyed by the family on Saturday and then it will feel worth all the effort. lol. I promised my sister and the little ones fresh tomato soup with grilled cheeze sandwiches on the side...American style.

I have a old faithful recipe for tomato soup that I make on special occasions but that is very rich and includes cream (vegan) and takes a very long time to make. But is worth it...but I didn't want to serve up the little ones a cream laden soup especially as they were having sandwiches on the side. I found this recipe posted by that annoying person ANON once again...so as always if you recognise the recipe and get in touch I'll happily amend this posting and give the credit where it's due.

This recipe is easy to make despite the sieving..lol..and I made a double batch so I can report back it doubles up nicely. I lucked out and found some beautifully deep red vine tomatoes and enjoyed the prep of them and the onions and the smell was mouthwatering whilst they roasted in the oven. Then it is a simple..throw everything in the pot..and leave to simmer. I blitzed mine in the pot with my hand held blender but even though the recipe doesn't call for it...I still felt it needed sieving...

The results were a silky smooth, intensely flavoured but not rich tomato soup. And I will make this again...and I think it will be great with the grilled cheeze sandwiches on the side. Phew! lol

Creamy Vegan Marinara Soup

Creamy Vegan Marinara Soup  Serves 4-6

8 organic vine tomatoes
1 onion
olive oil to drizzle 

1 tsp fresh basil 
3 cloves garlic
1 6oz tin tomato paste
6-8 cups of veggie stock 
2 tbsp sugar

Preheat the oven to 200'c/400'f/GM 6 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.

Prepare the tomatoes by slicing them in half and removing the seeds into a bowl to use later. Place them on the baking tray. Peel the onion and then cut it into wedges and place in amongst the tomatoes. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and then place into the oven and roast for approx 30 minutes. 

In  a large pot place the roasted veggies with the stock, herbs, reserved tomato seeds, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Scoop into a blender or hand blend until smooth. Sieve if that is your wish....then serve. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday has been a good one...

~Red~