Wednesday 4 December 2013

Colleen's Grilled Veggie Fajitas with Cashew Sour Cream

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Luke Morley ~ One Drop
The Eagles ~ Love Will Keep Us Alive
Skin ~ Colourblind
The Police ~ So Lonely 
Halestorm ~ Love Bites
Josh Todd ~ Straight Jacket
Madonna ~ Thief of Hearts
Prince ~ Cream
Foo Fighters ~ Breakout
Billy Joel ~ Honesty
Lady Antebellum ~ If I Knew Then
Buckcherry ~ Highway Star
Alicia Keys ~ No One
Missy Higgins ~ All In My Head

During my very recent adventure in Amsterdam I was unfortunate to have experienced the worst veggie fajitas...ever. We found ourselves very hungry and decided upon an Argentinian restaurant as we could all just about find something to eat. I ordered the only veggie dish on the menu and a side order of french fries...just in case. Thankfully I did because when I bit into my first filled burrito...I was repulsed by the flavours. It wasn't the tortillas as they were freshly made and soft...very tasty. The filling when sat in its dish looked packed full of veggies and well cooked but the taste..was awful. It tasted sour...and I hate to say it...like it had been thrown together in the same pan straight after a meat dish had been cooked. I set my burrito into the veggie filling dish and pushed it away. The salad however was fresh, crispy and delicious so I filled my remaining burritos with that and enjoyed my fries. It was disappointing but I didn't let it ruin my trip. 

It did leave me feeling a little gun shy at the thought of fajitas....so I knew the only way around this was to get my ass in the kitchen and make a batch of fajitas that I know and love. And to aid this I turned to Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's The Vegan Table because her fajita recipe rocks. And this time I also made a batch of her Cashew Sour Cream and I loved it. Even back in my veggie days I never liked sour cream...but this...wow...something else. 

I took my first bite and my taste buds rejoiced...the great taste of the marinated then griddled veggies...the bite of the Cashew Sour Cream...the wholesome wholemeal wraps...Yum! I can now thankfully leave my Argentinian fajita experience firmly in the past...lol. This is what real veggie fajitas are all about...and you have stacks of leftovers...

Such a beautiful plate of fajitas

Colleen's Grilled Veggie Fajitas with Cashew Sour Cream   Serves 12
(Recipe from A Vegan Table/C.Patrick-Goudreau)

Snack sized tortillas of your choice

Juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup olive oil (I use Canola/Rapeseed Oil)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
salt and pepper to season to taste

1 large red onion, sliced into wedges
3 bell peppers (red, orange, green or yellow) cut into 1cm strips
2 courgettes, halved and sliced into 1cm strips
4 garlic cloves, halved length ways
1 cup of your favourite salsa
1 batch of Cashew Sour Cream (recipe to follow)

In a large size bowl, stir together the lime juice, oil, oregano, cumin, chilli powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Toss the onion, bell peppers, courgette, and garlic and toss well to combine.  Set aside..

Prepare your grill or roasting pan. The vegetables can be made in a large grill pan, grilled outdoors, grilled on a tabletop electric grill, broiled or roasted. It's up to you. Grilling, roasting or broiling will yield the most flavour. Cook vegetables until desired doneness, 7-15 minutes, turning occasionally to char each side. Brush on marinade as the vegetables cook. Reserve in a large size bowl. 

Grill the tortillas, about 1 minute on each side, or microwave them on high, wrapped in paper towel, for 20 seconds. Once warm, keep them in a low oven or wrapped in a kitchen towel to retain heat. 

To serve, place vegetables, tortillas, salsa, cashew sour cream, and some guacamole on a table or buffet-style on kitchen counter. Each person can assemble his or her own fajita, as desired. 

Grilled marinated veggies....

Colleen's Cashew Sour Cream     Makes about 1 cup
(Recipe from The Vegan Table/Patrick-Gourdreau)

1 1/2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
salt to taste (I didn't use any)

In a blender, combine the cashews, lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the water. Blend on low speed, gradually turning speed to maximum. 

While the machine is running, gradually add more water, to keep the ingredients from sinking to the bottom of the blender and until desired consistency is reached. 

Continue blending until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of whipped cream. Add salt to taste. 

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If it becomes too thick, simply thin it out with some water. 

Creamy and with good 'bite'....

Serve...and enjoy! (Also good with a margarita on the side...lol) 

One last gratuitous shot...Is your stomach rumbling yet??? llol

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday is a pleasant one....

~Red~

Many thanks as always to Colleen Patrick-Goudreau for being an inspiration and for filling my shelves with great cook books.