Wednesday 2 January 2013

Winter Bean & Veggie Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Ocean Colour Scene ~ The Circle
PCD ~ Bite The Dust
Guns N' Roses ~ Don't Cry
Halestorm ~ Shadows Of My Heart
The Band Perry ~ Lasso
Jewel ~ Hands
Thunder ~ In A Broken Dream
Maria Joao Pires ~ Mozart: Piano Concerto #21 in C
Bryan Adams ~ Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven
Shakira ~ Estoy Aqui
The Cranberries ~ Dreaming My Dreams (Live)
Placido Domingo ~ Vesti La Giubba
Bowes & Morley ~ Don't Take Your Love Away
Julie London ~ Cry Me A River

I love a good soup and I happily eat them all year round. But there is something magical about a steaming hot bowl of soup on these cold winter days. This soup is based around a soup I saw Pinned on Pinterest..but after sitting with the recipe for a while I found myself making big changes to it. Like not wanting to eat a soup that had 1/3 cup of olive oil in it.

I would be a big fibber if I said this soup was my own work because I am still off my feet so it was ML who made this version with all our changes to it even taking the photo too. Thank you ML.

This soup is one of my soup heavens as it has a good broth, great chunkiness with the veggies and beans and a depth of flavour from the earthiness of the beans to the sweet hit of fennel seeds. It's a satisfying sensual feast of a soup....one that will make you smile as you eat it.



Winter Bean & Veggie Soup

 Winter Bean & Veggie Soup Serves 5
 (Adapted from a recipe found online)

1 400g tin of cannellini beans in water, drained
1 400g tin of borlotti beans in water, drained
2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
1 rib of celery, roughly chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1/2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 Onion Squash, 1/2* cubes
1 yellow courgette, seeds removed and cut into half moons
1 large head of green kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
1 medium yellow potato, peeled and 1/2" cubes
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds
5 cups of boiled water
1 cup of cold water - if needed

Saute the onion, celery and 1/2 the carrots in the oil until soft, add garlic towards the end of the cooking time. Add half of the drained beans along with the hot water and blend using a stick blender until the veggies and beans are a puree.

To a soup pan add the bean puree, the remaining carrots, the squash and courgette, kale, potato and the one cup of water. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the veggies are tender..approx 20 minutes. Stir in the crushed fennel seeds and reserved whole beans and heat through. Check seasonings and adjust to personal taste.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your new year has started well...

~R~