Thursday 24 January 2013

Kale, Butter Bean and Sausage Stew (vegan/gf)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

The Rolling Stones ~ You Can't Always Get What You Want
Robert Downey Jr ~ Broken
Foo Fighters ~ Cold Day In The Sun
LeAnn Rimes ~ But I Do Love You
Shelby Lynne ~ Willie and Laura Mae Jones
Nelly & Tim McGraw ~ Over and Over
Xtina ~ Impossible
Depeche Mode ~ It's No Good
Sheryl Crow ~ Long Gone Lonesome Blues
Andrea Bocelli ~ Amazing Grace
Brandi Carlile ~ A Promise To Keep
Ce Ce Peniston ~ Finally
Frank Sinatra ~ Night and Day
Fiona Apple ~ I Know

Do you like smoked products? Me?...I'm not sure. When veggie I never enjoyed smoked cheeses and as a vegan I really don't like the smoked vegan cheeze offerings. I don't mind a smoked nut..in particular smoked almonds...Yum. lol. I also don't mind smoked tofu and one of my favourite pattie recipe calls for smoked tofu..and its the hint of smokiness that really make them come alive. (OK just so you know...I realise how weird that sounded for a vegan to write...anyway...lol) I don't even mind a smoked condiment or two.

Now paprika...where are you on the smoked paprika taste? Personally I find a little goes a heck of a long way. When I'm in the kitchen and trying out someone else's recipe...I usually halve the amount suggested..and then add more, a pinch at a time (yes I do have a pinch measure..lol check out product review page) until it's at a point where I am happy.

This little bit of information I forgot to pass along to ML when cooking this stew. Oh dear... So when I took my first bite of my steamed side veggies and I was knocked back in my chair by the smoked paprika..well..let's just say I'll never forget again. lol. And I hadn't even tried the actual stew...but knew it was going to be a challenge for me. However, disregarding the 'holy whoa smoked paprika' moment..I enjoyed this stew a great deal. I loved the mix of kale, butter beans and vegan/gf sausage. Next time I shall reduce the smoked paprika by half...but that is just my personal preference.

Kale, Butter Bean & Sausage Stew ~ vegan/gluten free
Kale, Butter Bean and Sausage Stew Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
50g vegan/gf sausage (or one from linked recipe)
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 400g chopped tomatoes
pinch of sugar
2 x 420g tins of butter beans, rinsed and drained
100g fresh kale, chopped

In a small skillet brown the sausage pieces on both sides and then set to one side.

Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onions and garlic, saute for 10 minutes until golden. Add the paprika, cumin, vinegar, tomatoes and the pinch of sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile blanch the kale in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain, rinse in cold water and add to the stew with the butter beans. Cook through for another 5 minutes and then add the sausage...heat through until the sausage is heated thoroughly but not mush!

Serve and enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a great one...and hey..it's nearly Friday!

~R~