Sunday 3 July 2011

Rocket and Roses Black Eyed Bean & Lime Dip

Kitchen Play List:  Pearl Jam ~ Porch
                                      The Union ~ Easy Union
                                      Shakira ~ Eyes Like Yours
                                      Whitesnake ~ Now You're gONE
                                      Slash feat Myles Kennedy ~ Starlight
                                      Frank Sinatra ~ You Make Me Feel So Young
                                      The Kinks ~ Waterloo Sunset


Post written on Monday 27th June...and I just plain forgot to post it! lol. 
 
Crikey..has summer reached England at long last..but of course..now I am too damn hot! lol. I am a self confessed winter lover though. So today I was sat at my desk and looking at the kitchen thinking "...Blimey it's gonna be hot in there!" Even for me there are times when I didn't have to cook everything from scratch and I could just throw something in the oven etc. But I can't...oh well. 

Today I needed to make a salad topping for the week. And yes I could've knocked up a hummus but I really wanted something new. I stood at my stock shelves and I realised I had an abundance of tins of black eyed beans. Lovely. I had some lovely plump cloves of garlic that I wanted to use but didn't want 'raw' garlic...I wanted mellow garlic. So out came the bottle of sunflower oil. Balsamic Vinegar was the next selection as was some filtered water. The last ingredient was a gorgeous vibrant green lime that was sat on my kitchen counter. 

The results was a mellow but rich bean dip. It's a lovely pinky/brown colour with specks of black..I left mine a little thicker as I wanted it for a topping but you could add slightly more water if you want it for a thinner dip. I absolutely love it and as I'm typing this I am eating my lunchtime salad with it on top. It's definitely worth the extra step of cooking the garlic for a few seconds as you do get a rich garlic taste. 

A good and tasty Rocket and Roses Black Eyed Bean & Lime Dip
 Rocket and Roses Black Eyed Bean & Lime Dip
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

 3 14oz tins of black eyed beans, rinsed and drained
3 /med/large cloves of garlic, micro grated
1 tbsp sunflower oil, or oil of choice
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sunflower oil
5 fl oz water
Juice of 1 ripe lime

In a small saucepan add the 1st measure of sunflower oil along with the grated garlic. Stay with it as it only takes seconds. Heat on a low heat and once the garlic starts to sizzle keep it moving for 30 seconds. Do not allow it to brown as it will just taste bitter. A golden colour is preferred. Remove from the heat to cool.

In a food processor pulse the beans until they are roughly chopped but broken down. Drizzle in the 2nd measure of sunflower oil along with the balsamic vinegar. Pulse until they are incorporated.

Take off the lid of the processor and spoon in the garlic and oil from the pan. And pulse to incorporate. With the processor running drizzle in the water and then the lime juice. Leave to blend on high for approx 2 minutes.

If you want a thinner consistency you will need to add the extra water at this stage and blend until you are happy.

This made a large box of dip and that's great for me as we eat it over the working week.

Enjoy!
~R~