Monday 25 July 2011

Baked Nectarines

Kitchen Play List:  Classic FM Cello Favourites Album

This weekend I needed two desserts that could be made ahead of time and also be light and not too filling. The two choices were a Gooseberry Ice Cream that I made at the request of my Mother-in-law...which was a huge success and I will be posting it on here soon. The other selection was a Baked Nectarine dish from Linda Majzlik's wonderful A Vegan Taste of Greece 

The dessert was easy to prep and the only hardship was one nectarine that really didn't want to give up it's damn stone..lol. Once the filling has had it's two hours soaking, the cavities of the nectarines are filled and then it's baked for 25 minutes. 

The results were a beautifully simple dessert but the opinions around the table were mixed. I loved them...My Love wasn't that keen and my guests were quiet. Hmmmm...lol. I concede that they maybe could've had another 5 minutes in the oven as parts of the nectarines were still crunchy...but I liked that. I loved the intensely almondy and orange filling...so I guess that it all comes down to personal preference, eh? I served ours at room temperature and with a vanilla soy yoghurt for drizzling over as I do with a Baked Pear dessert I make. 

So let me know your thoughts if you try this recipe...am I alone in my liking? lol But I always say...You can't please all of the people all of the time! lol.

Baked Nectarines
Baked Nectarines Serves 4 
(Recipe from A Vegan Taste of Greece/Majzilk)

4 firm nectarines
1 1/2 oz/40g ground almonds
1 1/2 oz/40g sultanas, finely chopped
1/2 oz/15g demerara sugar
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tbsp orange flower water

Put the almonds, sultanas, sugar, orange juice and orange water into a bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and leave to soak in the fridge for 2 hours. 

Cut the nectarines into half and remove the stones. Fill the cavities with the soaked filling and place into a baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 180'F/350'C/Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes until just tender. Serve at room temperature, topped with yoghurt. 

Enjoy! And please let me know if you try this recipe...
~R~