Thursday 20 March 2014

Rocket & Roses Breakfast Rice Bowl: Cumin, Lentil & Spinach

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

PCD ~ Sway
Feist ~ So Sorry
P!nk ~ Funhouse
Keith Urban ~ She's Gotta Be
Cyndi Lauper ~ My Baby Just Cares For Me
The Cranberries ~ I Will Always 
Dixie Chicks ~ Baby Hold On
Audioslave ~ Revelations
Shelby Lynne ~ Track 12
Gwen Stefani ~ Hollaback Girl 
Gina Sicilia ~ That Much Further
Dave Matthews Band ~ All Along The Watchtower (Live)
Gregory Porter ~ The Way You Want To Live 
Steve Winwood ~ I'm Ready

This morning I needed a speedy breakfast because my energy levels are a little low. So I turned to the combo that never lets me down. I started the dish off with my holy trinity of the moment...garlic, ginger and chillies. All fresh..no dried versions. I allowed then to heat through in a little coconut oil then threw in some cooked brown rice, cooked green lentils and left them to cook whilst I rinsed and chopped some organic spinach. I added some fresh lemon juice, a little cumin and the spinach and voila! Speedy breakfast....

I enjoy breakfasts like this when I want the comfort of a hot breakfast but the speed of a convenience breakfast. However I have to confess I think I am becoming seriously addicted to fresh chillies and ginger. But that's not a bad thing, eh? 

Rocket & Roses Breakfast Rice Bowl: Cumin, Lentil & Spinach
 

Rocket & Roses Breakfast Rice Bowl: Cumin, Lentil & Spinach
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

Cooked brown rice
Cooked green lentils
1.5" fresh ginger, micro-grated
2 cloves garlic, micro-grated
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
fresh juice of 1/2 lemon   
1.5 cups of organic fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin

(No specific amounts as you should instinctively use what you need and for however many people you are cooking for..)

In a skillet gently heat the coconut oil with the garlic, chilli and ginger in it. When it becomes fragrant add the rice and stir well to make sure the garlic mix is evenly distributed. Add in the lentils, lemon juice and cumin and stir once more and leave to heat through. Toss in the spinach and stir through. Allow to heat through whilst you grab a bowl and then serve once the spinach has wilted. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday has been nice....

~Red~