Monday 24 March 2014

Garlicky White Bean and Kale Stew

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Evanescence ~ My Immortal 
Harry Connick Jr ~ We Make A Lot Of Love
INXS ~ Never Tear Us Apart 
James Morrison ~ Person I Should Have Been
Fleetwood Mac ~ Man Of The World
Sting ~ Why Should I Cry For You
Foo Fighters ~ Breakout
Don Williams ~ Listen To The Radio 
KORN ~ Thoughtless
The Cardigans ~ Godspell
Buckcherry ~ Onset
Kenny Wayne Shepherd ~ Cryin' Shame 
Halestorm ~ Love/Hate Heartbreak
The Zutons ~ Dirty Dancehall 

Today I wasn't in the mood for cooking. Yes, you did read that correctly...me..wasn't in the mood for cooking. Something strange is happening obviously...lol Only kidding, I'm just tired after a rough couple of weeks health wise. My strength is returning again but its slow going but that's the nature of the beast, eh? 

I needed today's recipe to be simple and very quick to make. I found this recipe printed off and in amongst a pile of random print offs. So I cannot give credit where it is due and you know how much I hate that. It grabbed my attention because it had three of my favourite ingredients...garlic, kale and butter beans. Well to be honest you can use any white bean but my mind instantly selects butter beans in these circumstances. lol. From start to finish it was a whole 15 minutes in the making and testing it was a garlicky delight. Tonight I will serve it with some brown rice to make it a complete meal. Maybe with some steamed brussel sprouts on the side...lol. Most of the time the most simple recipes are the most filled with flavour. 

Garlicky White Bean & Kale Stew
 
Garlicky White Bean Stew      Serves 4

Coconut oil
2 med onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
5 bay leaves 
Pinch of chilli flakes
salt to season
black pepper to season
2 - 2 1/2 cups white beans 
2 cups kale 
2 cups of veggie stock 
1 14oz tin of chopped tomatoes

In a large saucepan heat the coconut oil (amount is left to your judgement) and add the onions, chilli flakes, bayleaves, paprika and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened, then add the sliced garlic. If it becomes too dry add a little of the juice from the tomatoes. 

Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and season to taste. If you are going to let it simmer for a while, add kale about 5-10 minutes before serving so that it retains more of its nutritional value. Serve...

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Monday is filled with adventure...

~Red~ 

NB: This recipe is not mine and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. If you recognise it as your creation or you know the source please drop me a line at rocketandroses@aol.com and I will be very happy to amend this post. ~R~