Tuesday 18 March 2014

Cashew Cream Cheese, Tomato & Yellow Pepper Pizza on Regina's Grain-Free Chia Buckwheat Pizza Crust

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Whitesnake ~ Give Me All Your Love 
Martina McBride ~ Life #9
Rogue Traders ~ Voodoo Child
Dido ~ Here With Me
Beth Hart ~ Show Me The Way
Live ~ We Walk In The Dream
Adele ~ Turning Tables 
Bowie ~ Heroes 
Meredith Brooks ~ Shatter
Gina Sicilia ~ Gimme A Simple Song
Weezer ~ Buddy Holly
Suzi Quatro ~ The Wild One
Kings of Leon ~ Use Somebody
Robert Palmer ~ Addicted To Love

I am greatly enjoying my experimentation with gluten free pizza bases. Not only do I need them to be gluten free but yeast free too. This week's recipe was found during a visit to Regina's Nyoutritious.com. I was intrigued by her chia seed/buckwheat crust...

Sadly chia seeds are still very expensive here so using a full 1/4 cup measure of the precious seeds on a test recipe was a little concerning. Especially as my attempt didn't get anywhere near a dough texture. lol. Making the base is very simple and doesn't require any soaking of the ingredients which is great. After mixing my base ingredients together I let it sit whilst I prepped the pizza tray and chopped the tomatoes and yellow pepper for my topping. My dough was really more of a very thick paste. And I poured it onto my pizza tray which thankfully has a lipped edge but it wasn't necessary as the paste only spread so far. I was left with an 8" base which for me is perfect. I popped it onto the oven and in 30 minutes it was firm and nicely baked. I spread the base with cashew cream cheese, topped it with my sliced tomatoes and yellow peppers. I then generously grated black pepper over the top to bring out the flavour of the fresh tomatoes. Being honest I was hoping for a margarita flavour to my pizza....and I wasn't disappointed. 10 minutes after placing it back into the oven I was slicing up the pizza...

The pizza base wasn't as bland as I thought it would be...it was thin (my preferred pizza base thickness) and the flavour was nice. The hit of pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and oregano was a good touch. It also held the toppings very well although next time I would maybe bake the pizza for 15 minutes because I think the base can take the extra cooking time and my toppings certainly could. I really had the beautiful flavour of a Margarita pizza without any of the wheat and diary ingredients. I can't wait to try out other toppings on this pizza base but due to the price of chia seeds here, it will be an every now and then recipe..lol. 


Cashew Cream Cheese, Tomato & Yellow Pepper Pizza

Cashew Cream Cheese, Tomato & Yellow Pepper Pizza on Regina's Grain-Free
Chia Buckwheat Crust     Makes 1 8" pizza 

Cashew cream cheese 
2 med tomatoes, thinly sliced 
1/2 yellow bell pepper, small dice
freshly cracked black pepper

Regina's pizza base recipe:

1/4 cup chia seeds, whole
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp unrefined whole grain buckwheat flour 
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, chopped
1 tsp sea salt 

Combine chia seeds, water, flour, oregano and salt and mix well until the mixture starts to thicken up. 

Add the pine nuts and pumpkin seeds.

Spread out the crust over a piece of parchment paper and form the dough into a round shape. Flatten to about 1 cm for a thin crust. 

Bake at 180'C/350'F/GM 4 for 30-40 minutes until firm. 

Baked at 30 minutes ~ Reginas Grain Free Chia Buckwheat Pizza Crust
Schmear the cashew cream cheese over the entire crust and top with the sliced tomato and yellow pepper. Grate generous amounts of freshly cracked black pepper over the veggies and put back into the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Tuesday has been a good one...

~Red~ 

NB: The recipe for the pizza crust is not mine and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Regina at Nyoutritious.com  I simply threw toppings on top. ~R~