Sunday 15 May 2011

Vegan Chefs - Cleopatra Salad for Two

Vegan Chef's Cleopatra Salad for Two
We just had a wowser of a salad for our lunch. It had supreme taste, many textures and a dressing that had bite but wasn't overpowering. The salad in question is the Cleopatra Salad from the website VeganChef.com. I have been a fan of this site for a long time and use many of her wonderful creative recipes. Please check it out....

The vegetables in the salad were the almost perfect mix with the torn romaine leaves, grated carrots and courgettes and the shredded cabbage. It is supposed to be red cabbage but I had run out...I know! I never run out of red cabbage...except today. lol. I was a little hesitant about the raw courgette but I needn't have been because it was delicious. And I shall be experimenting with it myself now. 

The croutons were very easy to make. Wholemeal bread cut into cubes and drizzled with a little oil and tossed. A mix of dried herbs and paprika were then scattered over them and the cubes were tossed again. Thrown onto a baking sheet and baked in a low oven for a total of 20 minutes. The results were a good flavoured crunchy crouton. 

The dressing had a bite to it but it wasn't an overpowering one. Pinenuts, Nooch, garlic,  fresh parsley, dried basil, water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil blended together until smooth and slightly thickened made for an easy to make and very good dressing.  

All good but together they were amazing...it's only a shame that this salad will be a 'treat' salad and for high days and holidays due to the amount of oil in the croutons and the dressing. Ah well...a salad to look forward to...now who can I invite for dinner so I can make it again? lol

So use the link I provided above and check out the recipe...I couldn't recommend it enough...lol

~Red~