Tuesday 17 May 2011

Malaysian Stir Fried Noodles with Veggies

Kitchen Play List:  Rolling Stones ~ Under My Thumb
                                    Ke$ha ~ Tik Tok
                                    Turtles ~ Happy Together
                                    Mr.Buble ~ I'm Your Man
                                    Rolling Stones ~ Gimme Shelter
                                    The Union ~ Easy Street
                                    Thunder ~ The Devil Made Me Do It


I have a vast library of cookbooks..of all kinds but mainly vegetarian and vegan now. So when I'm bought them as gifts I'm a very happy person. A few years ago my pals D & B bought me two vegan cookbooks that I had been coveting on Amazon.co.uk. They were Japanese Cooking Contemporary & Traditional by Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner and The Asian Vegan Kitchen by Hema Parekh.

Both really good cookbooks but always get overlooked when I'm flipping through cookbooks searching for inspiration. Until a few months ago when I sat down with both books and wrote out a list of recipes I wanted to try and then I stuck the list to one of my notice books in my workroom. It was pointed out to me that it would've been easier to write a list of the ones I didn't want to try! lol. But as a visual aid the list is better. So I committed myself to working through the list and on a Sunday evening I would cook something from the list. So I should be through the list by 2014! lol. Ah well.

Something came up Sunday evening to prevent me from cooking so our Sunday evening meal was cooked last night. I chose the recipe (honestly this was the only way we could choose) by closing my eyes and marking one of the listed recipes with a pen...and after we decided that Tofu Shake with Blueberries and Banana wasn't really an evening meal...we ended in the Malaysian section and this stir fry.

As stir frys often are, it was easy to make. Even taking into account the Daily Chilli Sambal you had to blitz up first. I was concerned at one point as it has white cabbage, leeks and beansprouts that it was going to be a very white stir fry...mine are usually full of colour... but I stuck with it. I would definitely use half the noodles advised next time as it seemed way too many. But that's just my personal preference. The taste was good and the veggie mix worked out just fine. I had to make one substitution though as it's almost impossible to get Mustard Greens here..so My Love suggested Pak Choi.

We really enjoyed it but next time I may add some Mange Tout or Sugar Snap Peas for a bit of colour.

Malaysian Stir Fried Noodles with Vegetables
Malaysian Stir Fried Noodles & Vegetables
(Recipe from The Asian Vegan Kitchen by Hema Parekh)

2 tbsp veggie oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 shallots, sliced
2 medium leeks, chopped
1 tbsp Daily Chilli Sambal, recipe follows
7 oz very firm Tofu, stripped
2 cups (90g) white cabbage, shredded
2 cups (200g) bean sprouts
2 cups (110g) mustard greens, shredded (I used Pak Choi)
1 med tomato, chopped
5 garlic stems, chopped (didn't put in)
3 fresh red chillies, sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree
14oz noodles, (I used Wholewheat Noodles)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
Handful fresh coriander leaves
Cherry tomatoes, to garnish
Cucumber, sliced diagonally, for garnish 

Heat the oil in a large wok/saucepan and saute the garlic, shallots, and leek briefly. Add the Daily Chilli Sambal and stir for 10 seconds over medium heat. 

Add the tofu, cabbage, bean sprouts, and mustard greens. Saute over high heat for 2-3 minutes

Add the tomato, garlic stems, chillies, and tomato puree and stir to mix.

Add the noodles, soy sauce, and pepper and stir until well mixed. 

Sprinkle with coriander leaves and remove from the heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve garnished with tomato and cucumber. 

Daily Chilli Sambal

6 fresh red chillies, seeded
4 tbsp water
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Blend to a paste in a blender. Store in a sealed jar in the fridge until needed.


Enjoy ~Red~