Saturday 14 May 2011

Rocket and Roses Dragon Fruit & Lemon Yoghurt and/or Smoothie

Kitchen Play List:  Simply Red ~ Stars Album

I'm back! And trying to desperately catch up...lol. So the week I picked up the nasty lurgy I had 2 lovely Dragon Fruit as my Mystery Ingredient Challenge item sat in my fruit drawer. And to my astonishment they were still healthy and lush. 


I've made two recipes up with them. Whilst I was armchair bound (Argh!) I had plenty of time to research the little pink lovelies. And they turned out to be a powerhouse of goodness and combined with lemons..they turn into a Super Hero of the fruit world. With links to helping lower cholesterol! So this recipe is keeping with that thought and keeping things very simple...which is always good, no? I wanted to make a dessert with them initially but then found out all the good stuff. I didn't want to ruin that and so my mind went down the 'healthy' dessert route. Soya yoghurt + dragon fruit flesh+lemon juice and zest...and that really is it. 

To keep this a smooth yoghurt I would recommend that you make this just before serving...as the lemon juice will curdle the yoghurt. But if you make it ahead of time, a really good whisk will smooth it out again. 

The taste is fresh and clean and it excellent after a spicy hot meal. The smell hits you as you open the blender lid...delicious. I know we will be having this often as a dessert. I also tried the leftovers with some soya milk added to thin it down and it made a lovely Smoothie...2 recipes in one. As my friend F would say...Marvelous! lol


Rocket and Roses Dragon Fruit & Lemon Yoghurt
Rocket and Roses Dragon Fruit & Lemon Yoghurt
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 Dragon Fruit, halved 
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
400ml soya yoghurt
Chilled soya milk to thin (optional for smoothie)

Put the yoghurt and lemon zest into a blender and pulse until smooth. Scoop the flesh out of the Dragon Fruit halves and put into the blender with the lemon juice and blitz until smooth. The Dragon Fruit seeds will still be visable but that's a good thing! lol Serve or chill until needed. 

For the smoothie - add the milk in at the lemon juice stage and blitz until desired consistency is reached. Drink immediately.  (Or it will curdle!) 

Enjoy!