Friday 11 April 2014

Rocket & Roses Brown Rice Salad with Spring Onion & Ginger Dressing

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Blondie ~ Rapture
Garbage ~ Temptation Waits
Terra Naomi ~ Umbrella
Dixie Chicks ~ I Can Love You Better
Glenn Fry ~ Smuggler's Blues
Haydn: Cello Concerto in D
Melissa Etheridge ~ Meet Me In The Dark
Soul Asylum ~ Sometime To Return
Buble ~ Me And Mrs Jones
Gin Wigmore ~ Don't Stop
Dead Boots ~ On The Rocks
Seasick Steve ~ Just Like A King
Clawfinger ~ Sad To See Your Sorrow
Janiva Magness ~ I Want A Love

Just a quick posting today as I am enjoying a splendid morning with my nieces. Currently little Noo is sat next to me at the table writing a story about butterflies in a book we made together and little Layla is engrossed in Lilo & Stitch for the hundreth time..lol. Soon we are away to the kitchen to cook spaghetti and veggieballs together, ready for their Mummy and Myles to arrive for lunch. No doubt it will take me twice as long to make the usual raw veggie tray because the little monkeys will eat them as quickly as I can chop them. lol. I have Noo slightly addicted to raw broccoli...lol..score for Auntie Red,eh? No doubt in true little one fashion she will refuse them today; just to prove me wrong. And the tray will also include their new favourite raw veggie..butternut squash.

Yesterday I had a really great lunch. I started it off with some cold, cooked brown rice and then I layered it up with veggies and beans and then made a new dressing. I've wanted to test spring onions soaked in citrus juice to see if it made it more palatable for me when raw. And it worked! I enjoyed the many different textures to this salad and I loved the dressing. The vibrant colours seemed to bounce out of the bowl...



Rocket & Roses Brown Rice Salad with Spring Onion & Ginger Dressing

Rocket & Roses Brown Rice Salad with Spring Onion & Ginger Dressing  Serves 2
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

130g cooked brown rice 
1 large carrot, peeled and grated 
1 med diakon/mooli, peeled and grated 
1/4 small red cabbage, hard core removed and finely sliced 
15 mangetout, trimmed and halved 
1/2 cup edamame beans, cooked then cooled 
1 hot red chilli, finely chopped (de-seeded if you wish..)

For the dressing:
3 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 1/2" fresh ginger, peeled and micro grated
2 tsp Bragg Liquid Animos (or soy sauce/tamari)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
Juice of one lime
1 small garlic clove, core removed and micro grated

In a small bowl add all the dressing ingredients together and mix well..pushing the spring onion down into the liquid and set to one side. 

In a serving bowl place all the prepped veggies and brown rice. Toss well to evenly combine. When the dressing has had a minimum of 15 minutes 'mulching' time, pour onto the rice and veggies and toss to evenly distribute and serve...

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is a great one...

~Red~  *waves* from little Noo and Layla bug...x