Monday 7 April 2014

Rachel's Baba Ganoush and Quinoa Flatbread

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Blancmange ~ The Day Before You Came
Chris Cornell ~ Finally Forever
Tina Dico ~ Open Wide
Creed ~ Are You Ready? 
Jack Johnson ~ Monsoon
VAST ~ Falling From The Sky 
Billie Myers ~ Having Trouble With The Language
The Fratellis ~ Chelsea Dagger
Terra Naomi ~ Not Sorry
Soundgarden ~ Fopp
The Feeling ~ Rose
The Rolling Stones ~ Jumpin' Jack Flash
Europe ~ Hero 
Gin Blossoms ~ Hands Are Tied

I enjoyed this plate of goodness for my lunch today. I found the recipe yesterday at Rachel's kitchen over at almondsandavocados.com. And whilst I was enjoying my visit from my family and our hairdresser..ML roasted, blitzed and baked it for me. It made for a very easy lunch today and quite a peaceful process of prepping the veggies to make up the plate. I felt truly wholesome as I sat down at my desk with it...lol. Now it won't be a surprise to hear that I struggle with Baba Ganoush as it's aubergine/eggplant but I am serious in my efforts to love the purple veggies. I actively seek out new recipes to test and when I found this recipe I felt practically giddy because not only did it have a baba recipe, it also had a fantastic gluten-free flatbread recipe. A twofer! For Rachel's original posting and photos simply click here...

The Baba is very smooth and delicate in flavour so I added some smoked paprika to mine. OK..ok..yes I confess, to help me with the aubergine/eggplant flavour. Like I said...my love for the flavour of aubergine/eggplant is a work in progress. The quinoa flatbread was outstanding and I really loved its texture and the savoury flavour which worked perfectly with the sweet Baba and raw veggies. And so easy to make too..almost as easy as chickpea flatbread....but not as economical. Quinoa flour is quite expensive here in the UK..my little bag in my gluten-free flour cupboard cost £8. Yes...8! My guinoa flour gets used rarely..lol. Well until today...this flatbread is just great. I can't wait to make it again and hopefully slightly thinner so I can test it as a wrap. 

Rachel's Baba Ganoush and Quinoa Flatbread

Baba Ganoush and Quinoa Flatbread Makes 1 cup of Baba   Makes 2 x 8" Flatbread
(Recipe by Rachel @ almondsandavocados.com)

1 medium aubergine/eggplant 
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt 
a couple shakes of cayenne pepper (optional) (I used smoked paprika)

1/2 cup quinoa flour 
2-4 tbsp flaxseed meal 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup filtered water 

Pre-heat the oven to 400'F/200'C/GM 6. Prick the aubergine/eggplant a few times with a fork. Place the aubergine/eggplant on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 40 minute or until it has shriveled. Remove the aubergine/eggplant from the oven and allow it to cool enough to handle. When you are able to handle the aubergine/eggplant, remove and discard the skin. Break apart the inside of the aubergine/eggplant so that you can fir it into a blender or processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Transfer the baba ganoush to a bowl and sprinkle with extra paprika or cayenne. 

Stir all the flatbread ingredients together in a bowl until evenly incorporated. Pour the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, forming two disks. Use a spatula to spread and even out the batter (it should be approx 1/4" thick) Onve you've removed the aubergine/eggplant, add the quinoa flatbread to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until brown and beginning to crack. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. 

Serve alongside freshly topped veggies...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week gets off to the best start...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Rachel @ Almondsandavocados.com and hers alone. I thank her for a great recipe. ~R~