Saturday 12 April 2014

Betsy's Indian Pigeon Peas over Fragrant Rice

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Queen play list on my iPod (I was Freddie-ing all over the kitchen)

Whew...what a busy day. A regular Saturday for us, with the family visit from my sister and her little ones. All were in fine form and ready for fun. Little Layla was happy to raid the toy chest and we all enjoyed a Nemo moment or two. Still love little Squirt and his pappa..lol. Myles and I sat down together at the desk and I helped him create a spark for a story and I was bowled over by his writing abilities and his natural creative spark. His finished story was brilliant and I truly hope it's something he keeps doing. I sure as heck will keep encouraging him. Little Noo was absent for a while as my sister took her to buy her, her first pair of walking boots. She is joining us on my upcoming birthday Waterfall walk and picnic. She is so excited and came back looking very happy at having some time alone with her lovely Mum. She proudly showed off her new boots (which were very cool but still practical), her new walking t-shirt and her new walking fleece..you know just in case it gets a bit chilly on the walk. lol. She raided the sale racks at the Outdoor store. She is so prepared I fear shes gonna burn out before we get out of the cars!Then the rest of the afternoon was spent with my sister and I catching up sat at the table whilst the girls built Archie a new dog bed and then played outside. ML and Myles took advantage of some time together and fought side by side on the Wii..Star Wars...again. Sheesh.

However, this morning before they all arrived I managed to make a Buckwheat Pancake for breakfast, knock up a noodle salad for my lunch and then made today's recipe. I found it on good old Pinterest and it is the adapted creation of Betsy over at TheBloomingPlatter.com. For her original posting for this recipe simply click..here. I really love pigeon peas and I had every other ingredient for both recipes so I was sold. The rice was hardly work at all and in 20 minutes I had a pan of beautifully cooked and scented basmati rice. The flavours are delicate but divine. The spiced pigeon peas are indulgent and moreish. The sauce is intensely flavoured and peas are succulent. I had the help of little Noo when I was plating up the food and she added her own little flare on the presentation and then insisted on a photo with her finished product..lol. She was wowed by the rice 'magic' as it came out of it's mould. Cute as ever...

Betsy's Indian Pigeon Peas over Fragrant Rice

Betsy's Indian Pigeon Peas over Fragrant Rice    Serves 4
(Recipe from TheBloomingPlatter.com) 

1 tbsp canola oil 
1 tbsp coriander seeds 
1 tbsp cumin seeds 
1 small red chilli, seeds and membrane removed, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, sliced 
1/2 tsp turmeric 
1 cup diced tomatoes in juice
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of pigeon peas, rinsed and drained 
salt to taste 
garnish: cashews and fresh coriander leaves 

In a large skillet over a med-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add coriander and cumin seeds and stir fry until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chilli, onion and garlic and saute until softened. Stir in turmeric until completely distributed. Stir in tomatoes and coconut milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a 1/3 - 1/2 and thickened. Stir in peas and heat through. Check for salt and add only if needed. 

Fragrant Vegan Rice      Serves 4
(as above)

2 cups of water
coarse sea salt 
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 tsp cardamon seeds 
2/3 cup basmati rice (I used brown basmati)

In a large saucepan, bring first four ingredients to a boil, stir in rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and all water is absorbed. Check periodically to make sure that the rice isn't sticking but otherwise leave undisturbed. 

To serve: Spoon the pigeon peas over the fragrant rice and then scatter with the cashews and coriander leaves. 

Enjoy! 

The little Noodle herself with her finished plate.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Saturday has been a great one...

~Red~ 

NB: This recipe is not mine and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the adapted creation of Betsy @  TheBloomingPlatter.com and I thank her for sharing it. ~R~