Friday 25 February 2011

Tomato and Bread Soup

Kitchen Play List: Def Leppard's Greatest Hits 

Now this soup is relatively new creation. It was inspired by an old Italian recipe I found in a magazine quite some time ago. I jotted it down in my notepad and there it stayed until last year. I've changed it around quite a lot since then but this is the version I prefer.  It's a store cupboard bonus soup, that comes in handy. I like the depth of the flavours of the red onion and the tomatoes. I hope that you try this one. The bread is for you to choose. I usually use up the ends of wholemeal loaves when I make this. It's very comforting. 

I never liked tinned tomato soup but I most definitely love freshly made. And once again, it freezes very well. So I usually double or triple this recipe and fill the freezer up with bags of it. 


 Tomato and Bread Soup  Serves 4 - 6 

2 tins of chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, grated
2 1/2 cups of veggie stock
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
salt and black pepper to taste
Bread of your choice

In a soup pan, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook until the onion is very soft, approx 10 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, garlic and the spices and stir to combine. Saute for 2 minutes. 

The stock goes in next with the salt and pepper to season. Then bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly after turning off the heat. 

Place the soup in a blender or using a stick blender, blitz until smooth. 

In your soup bowl, tear the bread into pieces and when the soup is ready, carefully pour over the bread and  enjoy....

This soup freezes well.