Tuesday 1 February 2011

Slovakian Apple & Rice Pudding

To follow the Bulgarian Musaka we ate for dinner, I wanted something that was comforting but not calorific. Looking through the A Vegan Taste of Eastern Europecookbook I found a recipe that I hadn't tried before and looked perfect. It's not a great surprise to me that I haven't made this pudding before because it's a rice pudding and for the last ten years I haven't touched one because My Love has a great hatred for rice pudding and all milk based puddings...and pineapple! 

As this recipe isn't filled with cream and have that much sugar (I'm certain you could sub the sugar for agave nectar or sweetener if that suits you better) I decided to give it a try tonight as a treat for me and my Mum. 

I've followed it to the exact recipe and the first thing that you notice, is that it's a very small pudding. And despite the lack of cream and other ingredients that usually make a rice pudding rich, this pudding is intense in its flavour. The apple juice soaked sultanas burst in your moutn and the rice is creamy and rich and then you have the apples slices that are 'just' cooked so you have that added texture....I loved it. The only point I would bring up is that it was a little dry so next time I will double the milk. 
I hope you give it  a try. A little of this pudding goes a long way. 


Slovakian Rice & Apple Pudding Serves 4 - 6
(Recipe by Linda Majzlik - A Vegan Taste of Eastern Europe)

4oz/100g long grain rice
10floz/300ml water
10floz/300ml soya milk (or milk of your choice) I'll be using double next time
1 tbsp finely grated lemon peel
1oz/25g soft brown sugar
1oz/25g sultanas
3 tbsp fresh apple juice
1 juicy eating apple, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
ground cinnamon to taste

Soak the sultanas in the apple juice for 30 minutes to soften. Bring the rice and water to a boil, and simmer gently until the water has been absorbed. (Keep a close eye on this at all time..it does catch easily) Remove from the heat and stir in the milk, lemon peel, sugar and the soaked sultanas and remaining juice. Return to the heat, bring back to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Ladle half of the mixture into a deep 7"/18cm diameter oven proof dish and then arrange the apple slices on top. Spoon the remaining mixture over the apples and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180'F/350'C/Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes. Serve warm. 

Apologies for the poor quality of the photo but I'm still learning. Happy cooking, Red