Friday 11 February 2011

Rocket and Roses Banana Ice Cream

I am not the worlds biggest ice cream fan, I leave that to my Mum and my sister. But I do appreciate and enjoy a nice ice cream dessert every once in a while. The soya ices on the market in England are limited and are nice for that special occasion but are loaded with refined sugars. Not good for me. We were fortunate enough to be gifted an ice cream maker as a wedding present in 2008. We both wanted one and made grand plans of making our own ice cream at every social occasion possible. And we finally got it out of its box...this week! Ooops! Time flies eh? lol. 

I had a rather sad, over ripe bunch of bananas sat in my fruit bowl in my office and I found myself inspired to try and use them up. Usually this means they are made into a Banana and Pecan Loaf but yesterday I found myself craving ice cream. And the following recipe is the creation that came from the contents of my cupboards and the first use of the ice cream maker. 


 Rocket and Roses Banana Ice Cream  Makes 1 pint of Ice Cream
 (Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

3 ripe bananas, peeled and broken up
1 3/4 cups of soya milk
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Place all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a container and then leave to cool completely in the fridge for 30 minutes. 

Using an ice cream maker pour the blended ingredients into the machine and leave to churn for 20 minutes. Transfer the ice cream to a freezable container and store in the deep freeze until required. Or like some people I know....eat it straight away! lol Enjoy.