Wednesday 16 February 2011

Cook Book Junkie : Colleen Patrick-Goudreau - Color Me Vegan - Final Part

Continued from Part Two:

15/2/11 - I have tried many different versions of Butternut Soup and always been left feeling...well..blah! I love the squash cooked in many other ways but blitzed into a soup and I can take it or leave it. So, when selecting the recipes for this review, I chose this one purely out of curiosity. Could this finally be the soup that sells Butternut to me as a soup ingredient. So this morning I made the Butternut Squash, Orange and Ginger Soup. The ingredients are simple..Onion, garlic, ginger, butternut, potato,orange juice, veggie stock, seasonings. Spring onion and orange zest to garnish. I hope this is the one.

The Result:

Well, well, well...I have found it at long last! But first can I say that I have hands that are bright orange and not from a nasty fake tan but from the colours coming from the Butternut. lol. Attractive, eh? lol

 This soup was amazing. The intense orange hits you get are refreshing, the richness from the Butternut are comforting and the creaminess from the potatoes all come together to make one intense taste experience. I really loved every spoonful. I gave this a '10'.

For the final recipe for this review I wanted to select one that was considered a 'Rainbow' recipe. Indian Style Black Bean & Veggie Burrito was the one I chose. It is a little heavy on the starches compared to my usual preference but as a one off I decided it was fine. I use wholewheat tortillas but this could be made with regular white tortillas. The filling contains Red and Orange Peppers, onion, garlic, ginger, sweet potato, veggie stock, garam masala, black beans and seasonings. The recipe calls for cooked brown basmati rice and romaine lettuce to accompany the filling. It also calls for mango chutney but I shall be omitting that this time.

The Result:
Pure comfort. We both agreed these were delicious. Very heavy on the starches but as a treat every now and then we will indulge. It would be very rude not to! lol I wasn't sure if it would all work but it does.

Final Notes:
I have really enjoyed Color Me Vegan. I have enjoyed making the test recipes even the burgers. lol. I know it will be a much used and useful cookbook. The nutritional information provided, I found helpful and enjoyed the reading, but if all you want is a bunch of recipes between two pieces of cardboard...buy it anyway..you don't have to read those parts,eh? lol I hope you give it a try. I have a list of other recipes that I want to make soon. Thank you Colleen.

Happy Cooking, Red x