Wednesday 18 June 2014

Thai Mixed Vegetable and Tofu Curry (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Jose Carreras ~ Puccini: La Boheme - O Soave Fanciulla
The Eagles ~ The Girl From Yesterday
VAST ~ Pretty When You Cry
The Ting Tings ~ Traffic Light
Pearl Jam ~ Speed Of Sound
Buckcherry ~ Tired Of You
Paul Weller ~ Pink On White Walls
The Fratellis ~ For The Girl
Tom Jones ~ Sunny Afternoon
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band ~ Trouble Is...
The Eagles ~ I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Missy Higgings ~ Warm Whispers 
Prince ~ Cream
Becky Hill ~ Last Request (Live)

Leftovers...just great, aren't they? I had leftover mussaman curry paste from the curry I made on Sunday which meant my evening meal last night was relatively easy to throw together. After chopping a few veggies..well with the help of Ann...our meal was simmering away nicely in no time. I also had leftover Thai red rice to accompany the vibrant veggie packed curry. Marvellous. 

We had been for a day at the beach once again although it was a little chilly as the clouds never gave us a moment of sunshine, the simple act of being sat on the beach was enough to make both of us relax for a few hours. I made a rookie mistake and decided against taking my hat as it was so overcast and cloudy...*shaking head in shame*..and now I have very burnt skin on my face and chest. I forgot two things...1. one of my meds makes my skin even more sensitive to the rays and 2. I am porcelain pale and therefore need a body suit to leave the house! Urgh and so today I am smothered in uber moisturiser in the the hope that it eases my skin and stops the dreaded peeling. Next time...I am taking my ginormous floppy hat and be done with it. lol. However this resulting soreness has not taken away from my day at the beach with the lovely Ann. And I am not in any way jealous or envious of her ability to just turn into a bronzed sun goddess at even the slightest bit of sunshine. Nope..I'm not..nuhuh..ok maybe just a LOT little. Anyway...

Today's recipe comes from Linda Majzilk's A Vegan Taste Of Thailand. It shares the same page as the Mussaman Potato & Carrot Curry that I made on Sunday. I had some seasoned and diced tofu pieces in the freezer so I left them to thaw before heading off for the beach. If I'm honest it was team work between myself, Ann and ML as I delegated chopping and stirring to them. lol. If you have the paste ready made like I did..it's a very simple recipe and looks so beautiful as it simmers away and the aroma has your tummy groaning in hunger. The flavours are a delight and I loved the texture from the varying different veggies packed into it. The paste had developed a little more so the curry had a little more heat than Sunday which we both enjoyed. I see this becoming a popular dish indeed...

Thai Mixed Vegetable & Tofu Curry

Thai Mixed Vegetable & Tofu Curry 
(Recipe from A Vegan Taste of Thailand/Majzilk)

8oz/225g firm tofu, diced
6oz/175g carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
4oz/100g white cabbage, shredded 
4oz/100g green beans, topped, tailed and cut into 1/2 inch/1cm pieces
4oz/100g red pepper, sliced
4oz/100g cauliflower, cut into tiny florets
4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1"/2.5cm piece of galangal, finely chopped
2 rounded tbsp mussaman curry paste 
1 tbsp ground nut oil
8 cardamon pods, husked and the seeds separated
4 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric
black pepper
6 fl oz/175ml vegetable stock 
5 fl oz/150ml coconut milk
1 dsp cornflour
chopped roasted peanuts 

Fry the shallots, garlic and galangal in the oil for 3 minutes, then add the curry paste and turmeric and stir around for a minute. Now add the carrot, cabbage, green beans, red pepper, cauliflower, baby sweetcorn, cardamon seeds, lime leaves and vegetable stock. Season with black pepper and stir well, bring to the boil, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Put in the tofu and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the veggies are done. Mix the cornflour with the coconut milk until smooth and stir into the curry. Continue cooking for a minute or so until the sauce thickens, then transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with chopped peanuts. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been a sunny one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Linda Majzilk and hers alone. I thank her for a great recipe. ~R~