Monday 2 June 2014

Adrienne's Buckwheat Lentil Crackers (vegan and gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Black Stone Cherry ~ Magic Mountain Album

I have had a great weekend. Time spent with those I love and I feel mentally uplifted by it even if my body is protesting. ML left today for a working week in Greece so I am home alone until the weekend. Organising myself in the kitchen is a must and so I wanted recipes that I could make easily and would last the next few days. I have to eat supper for my meds to kick in at night and normally I opt for oatcakes but I confess I am rather oatcaked out. Then during a visit to Pinterest I found this interesting vegan and gluten-free cracker recipe and very quickly made my way over to wholenewmum.com to check it out. I wasn't disappointed. 

This cracker recipe is a High Days and Holidays recipe because of its use of 5 tbsp coconut oil, almond flour and agave syrup. It's certainly not one I could make often although I enjoyed the actual making of them greatly. It was so refreshing to work with a vegan/gluten-free dough that didn't break apart.  Adrienne's recipe is a fantastic one and the resulting crackers are soft/crisp and have a great wholesome flavour. I made one batch and will have crackers until the weekend..lol. But I won't complain as I indulge in the melt in your mouth beauty of them. Maybe I could make peace with the amount of coconut oil....hmmm? lol Afterall it's good for you, right?

I served my tester with a little red pepper hummus and some julienne carrot and the combination was a pure delight. For Adrienne's original posting and her options simply click here...

Adrienne's Buckwheat Lentil Crackers
Buckwheat Lentil Crackers 
(Recipe from wholenewmum.com) 

1 cup of cooked lentils, pureed until smooth
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
6 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt (I used low sodium)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp agave syrup
5 tbsp coconut oil, melted

Combine the lentils, flax seed followed by the agave syrup and coconut oil. Stir well. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, salt and baking soda. Combine dry ingredients with the wet and stir well to form a crumbly dough. 

Gradually add water by tsps until the dough is neither too crumbly nor too sticky. Cover dough and chill for 10-15 minutes. 

Divide the dough into 2 portions. Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface or countertop and dust lightly with a little buckwheat flour. Place one portion of dough on the floured parchment and then lay another sheet of parchment on top. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to an even thickness (about 2mm) 

Cut you crackers out to your personal preference. Scraps will easily go back together to be rolled out a couple of times. Carefully transfer each shaped cracker dough piece to a parchment lined baking sheet. 

Bake crackers in batches at 150'C/300'F/GM 2 for 15 minutes. Flipping over half way through the baking time. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet to crisp up further. Be careful not to over-bake or they will get too dark and taste bitter. 

Gratuitous close up..a kinda fuzzy one..but you can see all the goodness,eh?

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your weekend has been a great one and your week has started well...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Adrienne @ wholenewmun.com and hers alone. I thank her for sharing such a beautiful recipe. ~R~