Friday 7 October 2011

Rose's French Onion Soup

Kitchen Play List: The Rolling Stones ~ Ruby Tuesday
                                      Thunder ~ Robert Johnson's Tombstone
                                      Melissa Etheridge ~ Lover Please
                                      Slade ~ Everyday
                                      Thunder ~ It's All About You
                                      Madeleine Peyroux ~ Baby Please Don't Cry


Onions, onions, onions...I love them. But I love them cooked and cannot eat them raw. So if someone adds them to a salad bowl...I simply cannot eat it. Raw onion taints everything. But I haven't found of way of cooking them that I don't like. (Well cooked under, around or on meat would be the exception to that rule! Obviously.) 


Now I spent years thinking that Onion Soup was a thing of the devil! lol  But then once I started cooking for myself I quickly learnt it was the ingredients in Onion Soup I didn't like. I was horrified when I found out that beef consomme or beef stock was used to make it. And people would serve this to me as a meal...onions = veggie...Urgh! But then I also experienced a similar horror when people used to serve me up Pea Soup...made with veggie stock but still adding the ham for the smokey flavour!! I stopped eating soup...


I have made many batches of varying onion soup over the last few years and I have enjoyed them all. Some are sweeter, some are more rich and some have been very subtle in flavour. This recipe is one I found in a very much loved and much used Rose Elliot cook book Low Fat, Low Sugar


It's an almost white soup and depending on the situation we will be eating it in, depends on whether I leave it as it is in the photo below...full delicate strings of onions in broth or if we are on the move, I blitz it till it's smooth. Personally I love the stringy version best but no matter how I cover up with a napkin...I end up wearing some of it. It's worth it though. lol. 


This is probably my most favourite of the onion soup recipes that I have in my library. Subtle, delicious and heavenly looking. 


French Onion Soup ~ heavenly angel food! lol
Rose's French Onion Soup Serves 4
(Recipe from Low Fat, Low Sugar/Elliot)

1 tsp olive oil
1lb onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp brown rice flour
850ml/30fl oz/3 3/4 cups of veggie stock or water
salt and freshly ground pepper
1-2 tbsp chopped spring onion or chives

Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add in the onions, then try them very slowly for 15-20 minutes until they're lightly browned and very tender, stirring often, particulary towards the end of the cooking time. Stir in the flour, cook for a few seconds, then pour in the stock or water. Bring to the boil, then let it simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes, to cook the flour. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve with a sprinkling of spring onion or chives. 

Enjoy!
~R~