Thursday 26 February 2015

Rocket & Roses Fragrant Cool Dip (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Mr Sinatra ~ Night And Day
Thunder ~ Higher Ground
Damien Rice ~ Cannonball
Beth Hart ~ Halfway To Heaven
The Puppini Sisters ~ Jilted
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Rude Mood/Hide Away
Paloma Faith ~ Trouble With My Baby (Live)
Buena Vista Social Club ~ Murmollo
Bam Budd ~ Recstra
Prince ~ Cream
Bruce Springsteen ~ Silver Palomino
Mozart: Piano Concerto #21 in C
Lenny Kravitz ~ Strut
Dixie Chicks ~ Never Say Die


I have been very busy plotting and test cooking for my next Suma creation which is going to be posted on Monday. And once more I want to thank Ann for being my kitchen bitch assistant. I seriously couldn't do it without her right now. We had great fun sitting down to a Japanese inspired banquet after we had finished. Always a good part of recipe testing...

I was so happy to recently find a local supplier of lotus root. In the past when I had wanted to buy it I had to go online and it would cost around £10! (Including postage of course) But we found some for £2! So I have been busy cooking it in many different ways. One of which was baking slices in the oven to make lotus chips. I seasoned half of the slices with salt and the other with Shichimi spice. They still need a little more work so will post the recipe when I am happy with it. To go with the chips I wanted a light dip. I wanted it to compliment the spicy chilli seasonings. 

Using silken tofu is an obvious choice but one I enjoy. I don't use it often but I do like the blank canvas of it. In a couple of blitz's of the blender I have a smooth and creamy texture for my dips. The addition of fresh lemon and ginger juice and the tiniest measure of Umeboshi paste give this dip a delightful aromatic flavour. With some fresh chives stirred into the mix to round the flavours out perfectly. This dip is light, cooling but has a beautiful flavour on its own. Ann took the leftovers home and had some smeared in a wrap for her lunch today. For something a little different dip wise...you can't go wrong with this one.. 



Rocket & Roses Fragrant & Cooling Dip...served with Lotus Root Chips

Rocket & Roses Fragrant & Cooling Dip
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

12oz silken tofu
2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh ginger juice
pinch of Umeboshi paste 
10 fresh chive strands, cut into 1/2" pieces

Place the drained silken tofu into a blender and blitz until you have a smooth texture.

Add the lemon juice, ginger juice and Umeboshi paste into the blender and blend until thoroughly combined. Remove the mixture into a serving bowl and stir in the chopped fresh chives. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is going well? 

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation. I have no problem with you using this recipe or sharing it. I simply ask that you give credit where its due and link it back to this posting. Many thanks..~R~