Wednesday 7 December 2011

Rocket and Roses Pear & Ginger Dessert Pie ~ Gluten Free

Kitchen Play List: The Union ~ Siren's Song Album

Today should indeed be a pasty recipe but when it came to writing it up I found that the house pixies had moved my recipe lol. I hate it when that happens so I shall most definitely get Part 4 to you as soon as I've found it. So in it's place is the first part of a dessert pie making session I had last week. I was saving it for the Holidays Special but there is never a wrong time for a dessert pie recipe, right? lol. Taste testers have enjoyed this pie very much so if you give it a try...let me know your opinion, eh? ~R~

I have no idea why I made this pie..I wasn't needing a pie...I wasn't asked to make a pie and I certainly didn't have the energy to start an afternoon of experimenting with a new GF pastry recipe and then create two new fillings and toppings for it. But something took over and made me get busy in the kitchen and two hours later I had two new Rocket and Rose Dessert Pies and a new Rocket and Rose Crumble dessert. Maybe it had something to do with the Hazelnut Coffees I have been enjoying this week instead of my usual herbal teas? Surely not? I mean I've only had..*counting*..erm...Oh! O...K..maybe that would explain the energy boost. lol. Anyway...


I'm not the biggest ginger fan but I like ground ginger and the idea of a pear and ginger 'something' had been lurking around my head for a while. I just didn't know what form it was going to take. I was testing out a new GF sweet pastry recipe today from the wonderful Manifest Vegan blog. (Link for the recipe is below) And I have to say this recipe is a bitch pain to roll out and I do confess I rolled it out as far as I could and then put it into my pie dishes and then pressed in the remaining pieces to form the pie cases. Then blind baked them for 10 minutes with dried beans and then had them sat on my surface whilst I was trying to think of what to do with them..(Maybe a cup of coffee was enjoyed here too? lol) I should also add that one mix of this pastry made the two pie bases easily!

The first idea was this one as I had a dish of cooked pears waiting to be used up and so it flowed from there. The idea for a crumble based topping I came to as an alternative to having to make more pastry for a lid..really it was that simple. Now I am not claiming that these pies are healthy...but pie rarely is and should be a 'once in a while' treat...that's just my opinion. 

Rocket and Roses Pear and Ginger Dessert Pie
Rocket and Roses Pear and Ginger Dessert Pie Serves 8
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen..except the pastry recipe
that is all Manifest Vegans work)

1 Manifest Vegan GF pastry shell
http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/11/bourbon-laced-pumpkin-pie-with-walnut-crumble-topping/#more-9446  

6 cooked pears, peeled, cored & quartered
1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 2/3 cups/5oz gluten free oats or quinoa flakes
1 tsp ground ginger
1/3 cup/2 oz demerara sugar
1/3 cup/2oz vegan butter or margarine

In a bowl mix together the oats, ground ginger and demerara sugar until well combined. Then add the margarine and cut into the mix with two knives until a large crumbs consistency is found. 

Take your pre-baked pie shell and then arrange the pears, covering the entire base of the pie. Then sprinkle with the ground ginger. Pour the oat topping over slowly and push down into the pears. It will look like quite a mountain but it will shrink slightly in baking. 

Pear and Ginger Dessert Pie awaiting the oven
Place in a pre-heated oven at 375'F/190'C/Gas Mark 5 and bake for 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the pie crust is coming away from the dish. 

An extra shot for luck! lol
Serve immediately as a hot dessert or leave to cool and then refrigerate for a cold dessert. Serve alone or with vegan vanilla ice cream, pouring cream or custard. 

But most importantly...enjoy! 
~R~