Sunday 21 August 2011

Sunday Brunch: Curried Scrambled Tofu with Cabbage and Caraway

Kitchen Play List:  BBC Radio 2 Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs

Hormonal Migraines...are a curse. I think in a prior life I think I really upset someone important! lol. But on a serious note when I get them it really ruins my day. This one happened during the night which lead to a very painful and sleepless night. Marvelous! So when the sun started to shine (at approx 4.30ish) through the gaps in our blackout (!?!) blinds I wanted to cry. So instead I hid further under my duvet in search of the dark....and stayed there. (What a wimp,eh? lol) Happy Sunday Red!


A few hours later I was still hiding out when I smelt the most delicious aroma drifting up through the house. My Love was busy down in the kitchen cooking us a Sunday Brunch...now if I could only get rid of the heartburny nausea that accompanies said migraines...I drifted back off into the sleep I badly needed to catch up on. A while later I was woken up by the Sock Stealer bursting through our bedroom door and announcing it was indeed time to come out of hiding and try and get myself vertical and ready for My Love who would no doubt be following in 45 seconds..lol. My own personal morning cheer team...lol. And I love them for it. 


My Love walked in with a brunch tray that had a steaming hot mug of decaf coffee and a bowl of Curry Scrambled Tofu with Cabbage and Caraway....looking steamy hot and beautiful in colour due to the red cabbage and curry spices. The smell seemed to overwhelm any remaining feelings of nausea and so I 'got comfy' and settled in next to My Love and ate happily. And it was so good..so a huge Thank You to My Love for brunch..and although I still have a residual migraine...I'm feeling better for the lovely brunch followed by a long hot shower....and the painkillers helped too *wink* lol 


We take no credit for the recipe as it is once again from Isa Chandra Moskowitz'a fantastic Vegan Brunch 


And to make things even better My Love had a go at taking some shots of the brunch so I would have something to blog today. What.A.Star! lol 


Isa's Curry Scrambled Tofu with Cabbage and Caraway ~ ribbons of lovely red cabbage, red onion slices and delicious curry spices make this a feel good brunch!
Curry Scrambled Tofu with Cabbage and Caraway
(Recipe from A Vegan Brunch/Moskowitz)

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp caraway seeds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb extra firm tofu, cubed or crumbled (We use 1 pack of Cauldron, crumbled)
3 tbsp medium curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced

Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat. Saute the onion and caraway seeds in oil for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add the tofu and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until tofu has browned on some pieces. Add curry powder, cumin, and salt and some splashes of water if the tofu seems too dry. Mix the in the cabbage. Cover and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted and tender. (We usually give ours 15-20 minutes ~R~) Taste for spice and add another teaspoon of curry powder if needed (it will depend on the strength of your curry powder)

Serve immediately and enjoy! 

Thanks once again to Isa for a fantastic recipe...

~R~