Monday 8 August 2011

Rocket and Roses Puy Lentil, Sweet Potato & Chilli Soup

Kitchen Play List:  Skin ~ Skin Album...oh yeah! A little rocking around the kitchen ~R~

Another soup creation? Yep..as it's been like winter around here lately. lol. Seriously!

Yesterday we stalwartly  had our picnic in a park after a huge downpour and sat with our raincoats done up tight and sheltered under a chestnut tree whilst watching a friend of ours played the drums and the tuber in a brass band. It felt good to support him but we felt very English sat there with our picnic basket under the storm filled grey skies. lol. Things you do for the people you love, eh? And today the weather is just the same. I think I blinked and missed our summer. No matter...

So I was very happy to have this soup made and just awaiting the final 'tweeks' that I needed to do. I know I will be eating this hot soup (and hot on every level) whilst looking out my workroom window, seeing the trees being blustered about and the grey sky but feeling very warm on the inside and out! lol. 

The idea for this came from a 'new recipe' brainstorming session I had whilst I was 'resting up'. I love sweet potato and I love all forms of lentil but Puy in particular. Then realised I hadn't put them together. So Saturday morning I set about and threw this soup together. 

The results were..in my humble opinion..gorgeously comforting. You get an instant hit of chilli heat but it's not an overpowering slap of heat. A great savoriness from the little Puy lentils and the soft sweet potato is comforting and succulent. The garam masala is present but more of a supporting flavour. 

I enjoyed every spoonful as I watched the poor trees taking a battering outside....Oh look here comes the rain...again. English weather...lol.

Rocket and Roses Puy Lentil, Sweet Potato & Chilli Soup
Rocket and Roses Puy Lentil, Sweet Potato & Chilli Soup
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, halved and sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced or grated
3 med sweet potatoes, peeled cut into small dice
3 oz dried Puy lentils, rinsed well and drained
1 1/2 litres veggie stock
1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp garam masala
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Salt to taste - optional 

In a large pan or soup pan heat the oil, onions and garlic over a gentle heat. Stirring frequently. Cook until the onions have softened. Add the drained lentils and stir well to combine and cook for 1 minute. 

Add the sweet potatoes and stir well to combine and saute for a further minute. Toss in the spices and stir well whilst cooking for another minute. Add the seasonings if using. Add the stock and once again stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. 
Cover the soup and simmer until the the lentils are cooked. Approx 15-20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and with a stick blender directly into to the pan, blitz for 30 secs or ladle out half of the soup into a blender and blitz until smooth. Then add back into the pan and reheat. Serve steaming hot. 

Enjoy! 
~R~