Wednesday 21 January 2015

Waga's Rice Noodle Salad - adapted. (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Les Paul & Friends American Made & World Played album

Last November during a weekend away in London I had my first...and second..ahem...Wagamamas experience. I was taken with the wide open lay out of the restaurants and the peaceful vibes that you soaked up whilst waiting for your food. The staff were very helpful and great individuals and made the time spent there even more enjoyable. There was even a crazy food intolerance friendly meal for ML! I had plenty of choice and devoured every mouthful of food and every sip of green tea...did you know the green tea is free at Wagamama's..nope, me neither but it was a lovely surprise. The only thing that I wasn't happy about was the fact that they aren't, by any stretch of the imagination, a veggie or vegan restaurant but they are incredibly veggie friendly. I can dream of a vegan Waga's in the future. 

After my trip ML found a used copy of Wagamama's Ways With Noodles cookbook. I know, I'm still a cookbook addict. And in my typical style I sat with it and page marked all the recipes I wanted to make and veganise. Today's recipe being the first attempt. And I was delighted with the results...

The adaptions I made were as follows...I replaced the soy sauce with Braggs and used a brown sugar/stevia blend to cut the sugar suggested and swapped out frozen garden peas for edamame beans, only because I didn't have peas in my freezer that day. I chose to use brown rice vermicelli noodles and I used vegan fish sauce and for that recipe simply click the link on the list of ingredients below. I didn't feel the need to season with more salt and therefore omitted that step and didn't sprinkle with the roasted peanuts..to keep the fats as low as possible. Although I am sure I missed a treat leaving them out..ah well.

The salad had such great textures with the soft noodles and crunchy veggies. The salad dressing was sharp, savoury and citrusy. Like I said before it was a delight to eat and I was smiling the entire time I munched my way through it. 

Waga's Rice Noodle Salad - adapted

Waga's Rice Noodle Salad - adapted       Serves 2
(Recipe adapted from Wagamama Ways With Noodles)

50g rice noodles (I used vermicelli)
25g frozen edamame beans
2 spring onions, finely sliced
6 radishes, finely sliced
5 cm cucumber, seeded and cut into quarter moons
small handful of beansprouts
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
small handful mangetout, finely sliced
2 tsp vegan fish sauce 
1 tsp soft brown sugar (I used a brown sugar/stevia blend)
1 tsp Braggs liquid animos
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper to season (I omitted)
roasted chopped peanuts (I omitted)

Cook the noodles as per the package instructions, drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain well.

Cook the edamame beans as per the package instructions, drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain well. When cold toss them into a large salad bowl along with the other prepared vegetables and noodles. 

Combine the vegan fish sauce, sugar and Braggs together in a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest and juice, ginger and garlic and the sesame oil. Stir well to combine. Pour over the noodle salad and toss well. Season with salt and pepper (Reds notes: I omitted this as I felt it was seasoned enough for my personal tastes folks) Spoon the salad into bowls and sprinkle over the coriander leaves and the roasted peanuts. Serve..

Enjoy! 

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe. It is the adapted recipe from Wagamama's Ways With Noodles cookbook. I take no credit for its creation whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of the folks at Wagamama's and theirs alone. I do thank them for a great cookbook. ~R~