Wednesday 14 May 2014

D.K's Stir Fried Noodles with Broccoli (vegan & gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

No Sinners ~ Boo Hoo Hoo Album 

Big news folks...R & R HQ is now officially on the market. I am one step closer to escaping Helltown. Woo! And on other news one of my all time favour rock bands, Thunder, are going back into the studio to record a new album...Woo-woo! Oh isn't that a cocktail? lol It is also one of my favourite people in the worlds birthday so Happy Birthday Ann and much love from all at R & R HQ...I hope your day is as splendid as you are. 

Broccoli and noodles...two of my favourite foods and what a happy woman I was when I originally found this recipe. I found it between the covers of Donna Klein's The Chinese Vegan Kitchen...I bought the book last year and took it away with me when we went to stay in Cornwall on holiday. There were many recipes I couldn't try because I couldn't find or source a bottle of veggie oyster sauce. And now I have..I am nestled back between those cookbook covers and making up for lost time. 

I had to make a couple of changes with the ingredients but the recipe below is Klein's recipe as she meant it to be made. My changes were using buckwheat noodles in place of the udon noodles...omitting rice wine vinegar and rice wine and using apple cyder vinegar in a smaller amount. I also used Braggs instead of soy sauce. These simple changes were simply a matter of my own personal needs...gluten-free and vinegar-free. Oddly I can have apple cyder vinegar...who knew..lol.  

It gave me the opportunity to break out my newly delivered belated birthday present. A transportable little set of cutlery. A stainless steel set of screw together chop sticks, fork and spoon. And the surprise was that the handle of the spoon and fork have a smiley little face...lol. I know little things...lol There is a photo after the recipe...I know you want to see them.

The noodles and broccoli were perfectly cooked and the sauce had a great savoury flavour and the chilli flakes gave it a perfect heat. I will be making this...many times...yum..

Stir Fried Noodles with Broccoli

Stir Fried Noodles with Broccoli    Serves 4
(Recipe from The Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein) 

12 oz Udon or Buckwheat noodles 
8 oz fresh broccoli florets, cut into bitesize pieces
2 tbsp peanut oil (I used 1/2 tbsp)
4 scallions, white and green parts, separated, thinly sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red chilli flakes, or to taste 
2 tbsp veggie oyster sauce or mushroom soy sauce
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine, dry sherry, sake or dry white wine
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar 
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 

In a large stockpot, cook the noodles and noodles in boiling salted water according to the package instructions until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain well in a colander. 

In a wok or large non-stick skillet, heat the peanut-oil over medium-high heat. Add the white parts of the scallions, garlic, and red chilli pepper flakes, cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and black pepper. Cook, tossing and stirring often, until heated through and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the scallion greens and toss well to combine. Serve at once. 

Enjoy! 

Smilely Happy Birthday cutlery...

Thanks for stopping by and I hope that your week has started well...and there has been plenty of laughter.

~Red~

NB: This recipe is not mine and therefore I take no credit for them whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Donna Klein and hers alone. But thank you for a great cookbook ~R~