Monday 19 October 2015

Rocket & Roses Soothing Mixed Grain Pilaf (vegan)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Foo Fighters ~ Walking After You
The Cranberries ~ Deliah
Black Stone Cherry ~ In My Blood
David Bowie ~ Sound And Vision
Shelby Lynne ~ Track 12
Sammy Davis Jr ~ Let There Be Love
Lissie ~ Games People Play
The Fratellis ~ Creeping Up The Backstairs
Halestorm ~ Daughters Of Darkness
Joan Jett ~ Louie Louie
Live ~ Freaks
Hozier ~ Do I Wanna Know? 
Lenny Kravitz ~ If You Want It
Samantha Fish ~ Foolin' Me

A quick note to my gluten-free readers...I'm sorry but this recipe does contain barley but you can simply leave it out and you will still have a beautiful pilaf. To be honest any cooked grain mix would be delicious folks ~Red~

Last week I stayed with my best pal whilst ML was working away in Brussels. We decided given my recent ailments it was probably better that I wasn't home alone. However despite the practicalities of this decision it was also a good chance to spend some quality time with my pal. We had a lovely week but unfortunately my ailments were always around to remind me that they were still there. The medicines and treatments leave my poor tum quite sore and eating some days is easier than others. During the stay there was a day when the thought of food wasn't a pleasant one and Ann wanted to make me something for my evening meal that would be easy on my raw stomach, packed with nutrients and incredibly tasty. 

We sat together and Ann waited patiently whilst I put together a recipe in my head that would fit all three requirements. I was then ordered to rest whilst she hit the kitchen. If you knew me in real life...you would appreciate just how hard this is for me..lol. Never could do as I was told. The fact that we had a stash of cooked grains to hand made this recipe incredibly easy and quick to cook. As my note at the top of this post any cooked grains would be delicious in this meal..so leave out the barley if you are strictly gluten-free and change the others around if that's your wish. Combined with the steamed veggies it makes for a wholesome bowl of goodness, packed with flavours and textures that is indeed gentle on the tum. And the smell that came from the kitchen as it cooked had my tastebuds watering intensely...yum!

And Ann...thank you for looking after me so well. You rock lovely...*hugs* x 

Rocket & Roses Soothing Mixed Grain Pilaf (vegan)
 

Rocket & Roses Soothing Mixed Grain Pilaf       Serves 2
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, micro-grated
1 head broccoli, cut into bite size florets
1 green bell pepper, prepped, roughly chopped
15 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
6 purple carrots, trimmed and chopped
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 pint hot veggie stock
220g cooked quinoa, brown rice and barley mix
freshly ground black pepper

In a hot skillet gently heat the olive oil and saute the garlic until fragrant, approx 3o seconds.

Add the veggies to the skillet and stir well to coat in the garlic oil. Add the ground ginger and paprika and stir to distribute. Add the stock and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and steam the veggies for 15 minutes. 

Add the cooked grains to the skillet and season well with freshly cracked black pepper. Stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes to heat the grains. Serve...

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are finding many reasons to smile folks...

~Red~

NB: This my creation and I have no problem with you using it or sharing it. I simply ask you give credit where it's due and provide links back to this post. Thanks...~Red~