Tuesday 21 July 2015

Green Gumbo (vegan)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

James Rhodes ~ 5 album 

It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm sorry for that and I still haven't been well enough to get in the kitchen for some much needed kitchen therapy. However this doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying some lovely vegan food. ML has been endeavouring to make recipes that spark my interest from other people's kitchens/books. And that is how I came to devour...ahem..savour this gumbo. Now it may not have great photo appeal but it is seductive from that first mouthful. 

I confess here and now that we used giant cous cous in this version. The original recipe calls for bulgar wheat or cous cous but you could make a very good gumbo with quinoa or maize cous cous so that choice is, as always, yours. I wanted to try the giant cous cous just for a change as I've been eating a lot of quinoa of late and I can tolerate small amounts of wheat so for me it was success. There was something indulgent in every plump little morsel of cous cous. 

The only sub that ML made was using yellow pepper in the place of green pepper. No reason other than we didn't have any green when it came time to make the evening meal. I quite enjoy green peppers but the yellow was a lovely pop of sunshine. I even agreed to the okra and can now happily report I enjoyed it. The gumbo is delicately flavoured and has many great textures and as suggested the tabasco sprinkled over the individual servings provided that good kinda hot kick. I really loved this meal and I look forward to enjoying it again soon.

Green Gumbo ~ vegan goodness

Green Gumbo    Serves 2

1 tsp olive oil
140g/5oz okra, trimmed and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
50g/20z bulgar wheat, giant cous cous or cooked quinoa
100g/4oz leek, halved and sliced
1/2 green pepper, chopped (we used yellow)
2 celery sticks, chopped
100g/4oz kale, tough stalks removed, shredded
large handful parsley, finely chopped
a few thyme sprigs, leaves stripped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
500ml hot low sodium veggie stock
tabasco sauce (optional)

Heat a saucepan over a med heat and add the oil. Add the okra and saute until turning golden, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds until fragrant, then pour in the hot veggie stock. Add the bulgar wheat or cous cous, leek, green pepper and celery, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the kale, parsley and thyme. Simmer for 5 minutes more, by which time the bulgar or cous cous should be plumped and cooked. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vinegar. Taste the broth and season to taste. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with tabasco if desired. 

Enjoy!

Thank you to ML for keeping me supplied with beautiful foods even on the days when eating is not my chosen thing to do. Ah well...onwards and upwards folks. Thank you for stopping by and being the loyal followers that you are. You rock! Hope your days are beautiful ones...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. I cannot give thanks where it's rightfully due as it was a recipe ripped from a magazine some time ago. But I do send out thanks to whoever the creator was. ~R~