Thursday 11 December 2014

Rocket & Roses Green Goodness Noodle Bowl (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Eddie Vedder ~ A Broken Heart
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Telephone Song
Melissa Etheridge ~ The Beating Of Your Heart
Frank Sinatra ~ I Love You
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Pride And Joy
Half Moon Run ~ She Wants To Know
Shakira ~ Empire
Bach: Cello Suite #4 in F Flat
ABBA ~ Money, Money, Money
Dido ~ Here With Me
Joan Jett ~ Hanky Panky
Elgar: Romance In D Minor
Jessie Ware ~ Devotion
Brandi Carlile ~In The Morrow

During my recent visit to London I made two visits to Wagamamas. I know...what a spoilt princess I am. The first visit I enjoyed a massive bowl of ramen. I enjoyed the intensely savoury stock, the just tender veggies and the rice noodles very much. The second time we went for lunch and I savoured a tiny bowl of miso soup with some pickles....oh and some dumplings. *evil chuckle* Yes I know they weren't gluten-free but it was worth the tummy ache later. Overall I devoured every dish I tried and came home with an insane craving for all things noodle and soupy which is good as they are all recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. 

This week has been a mess of hospital appointments and disappointing news so today is the first time I've been able to get back in the kitchen. At the weekend I had picked up two beautiful bundles of asparagus and when I opened the fridge today to check out the veggie status they were the first thing to shout out at me. (No I don't mean that literally! Cheeky...) And as I pulled them out, my memory was jogged at how beautiful the crisp asparagus was in my Waga's ramen soup. I wanted the asparagus to be the stars of this recipe and so chose vegetables that would sit along side them and add to the delicate flavour of the green shoots. The stock was subtly flavoured with a 'new to me' spice blend...Schichimi Tougarashi and small amounts of vegan oyster sauce, Braggs (you can sub for soy/tamari if you can..lucky ducks!) and sesame oil. The warming heat at the back of your throat came from the fresh ginger. I used brown rice vermicelli as my noodle although I was torn between using them, soba or clear rice noodles. But I was happy with my choice as they added great texture. This noodle bowl is by no means an attempt at ramen but it is a good and enjoyable meal. I enjoyed the delicate flavours and many textures and so did my pal Ann who had a bowl for her lunch too. If you are craving a healthy green bowl of goodness this upcoming festive period then you can't go wrong with this one...

Rocket & Roses Green Goodness Noodle Bow (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Green Goodness Noodle Bowl     Serves 4
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tsp rapeseed/canola oil
2 large bunches of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" pieces, stems separated from
the tips..set tips to one side
1 large bunch of spring onions, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
3 bulbs of pak choy, white and green parts separated, white parts sliced, green parts
finely sliced
5 cups of hot low-sodium lite veggie stock
2 garlic cloves, micro-grated
1 1/2" piece of fresh ginger, micro-grated
4 green chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
2/3 cup frozen soy beans
1/2-1 tsp Shichimi tougarashi spice blend
sprinkle of dulse
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Braggs/soy sauce/tamari
1 tsp vegan oyster sauce 
2 layers of brown rice vermicelli
black sesame seeds to sprinkle 

In a soup pan gently heat the oil and add the spring onions and asparagus stems. Saute for 4 minutes and then add the ginger/garlic/chillies. Stir well to incorporate and cook until fragrant.  Add in the white stem of the pak choy and stir in followed by the Shichimi and dulse.

Add the hot stock and followed by the frozen soy beans, asparagus tips and sesame oil, Braggs and vegan oyster sauce. Stir well and bring to a gentle bowl. Add the brown rice vermicelli and pak choy leaves, stir well, cover and cook for 4 minutes more. 

Spoon drained veggies and noodles into a bowl and then semi-cover with the stock. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over and serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week has been a good one so far...

~Red~

NB: This is my creation and I have no problem with you using it or sharing it. All I ask is that you give credit where its due and link backs to this posting. Many thanks...Namaste. ~R~