Friday 10 October 2014

VYA's Smokey Corn Chowder (vegan and gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Mr Jones & Mr Holland ~ Think
Audioslave ~ Getaway Car
Hunter Valentine ~ The Pulse
Beth Hart ~ Ain't No Way
Chely Wright ~ What If We Fly
KORN ~ Bleeding Out
Nickelback ~ When We Stand Together
Crowded House ~ Mean To Me
Natalie Cole ~ Our Love Is Here To Stay
Evanescence ~ Made Of Stone
Lindsey Quartet ~ Beethoven: String Quartet #13 in B flat
Joan Jett ~ Desire
Camille Thomas ~ Sonata for Cello and Piano in B Flat Major 
                                   Andante Molto Sostenuto
Orianthi ~ Suffocated 

I have never eaten a chowder up until yesterday. Not once. Now I know this will blow some peoples mind because it seems to me if you enjoy chowder...you are passionate about it. For me it's always been a food of fear. Firstly because it's usually laden with fish and the like. Secondly because its a milk/cream soup. I will confess I have seen many offerings of veggie varieties but as a person who doesn't like soups that have any kind of milk or cream added, they have left me uninterested. Up until very recently...I was watching an episode of Nigel Slaters Dish of the Day and he made a chowder which actually had me wondering what a bowl of vegan chowder would be like. My tastes have changed so much recently that I started to look for vegan recipes before Mr Slater served up his final dish of the week. 

I found this recipe via my Pinterest feed. I took it as a sign because it just filtered randomly through my home feed about an hour after I had given up looking for a recipe. VeganYackAttack's version appealed to me because it used simple ingredients and wasn't complicated in its method. I did however omit the mushrooms *shudder* (my tastes haven't changed that much!! lol) but otherwise I kept to the recipe as VYA instructed. I used unsweetened coconut milk from the fresh milks aisle and not the canned variety. In half an hour I had a beautifully coloured chowder bubbling away and the smell in my kitchen was nothing short of awesome. I served my bowl with a couple of slices of GF bread that I had also been experimenting with that morning. For HopeForHealings bread recipe simply click here...my baguette..well...lets say it turned out more like flat bread but it had a great taste and once I've tweaked it a little I'm sure it will be my go to GF bread recipe. 

Thanks to VeganYackAttack's Smokey Corn Chowder I am now converted. But let me be clear...only to chowder. I will still be a brothy soup kinda gal for all my daily soups but every once and a while I shall make a chowder. I found eating the chowder to be something very special. It felt indulgent..with its creamy stock, many textures and beautifully blended layers of flavour. I know I'll be making this one again...and I am also inspired to create my own chowder so watch this space...

Vegan Yack Attack's Smokey Corn Chowder 



VYA's Smokey Corn Chowder   Serves 4
(Recipe from VeganYackAttack)

1 tsp coconut oil
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 15oz can of sweetcorn kernels, drained
1 t5oz can of sweetcorn kernels, pureed
1 1/2 cups low sodium veggie stock
1 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp liquid aminos 
3/3 tsp smoked paprika 
1/2 tsp onion powder/granules
2 cups baby spinach, packed
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat the oil over med heat. When the pot is hot, start sauteing the onion for 2 minutes then add the minced garlic to the mixture. Saute for another 2 minutes or until the onion becomes more clear. 

Stir in the corn kernals, pureed corn, veggie broth, and non-dairy milk.

Shake the nutritional yeast  over the top, to dissolve it quickly. Then add the liquid aminos, paprika and onion powder. Bring to the boil, and adjust heat so that it becomes a simmer. 

Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spinach and basil into the mixture about 5 minutes before you are gonna serve the soup and season. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week has been a gentle one and your weekend is filled with love and laughter...

~Red~ 

NB: The chowder recipe is adapted very slightly from the original. This is not my creation and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Jackie over st Vegan Yack Attack. I send out thanks for sharing such a great recipe...Namaste ~R~