Wednesday 24 September 2014

Rocket & Roses Thyme, Sage and Potato Soup (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Jack Savoretti ~ Between The Lines Album

The weather here really doesn't know what to do with itself. One minute warm and humid, the next chilly and autumnal. I woke this morning to rain and it instantly relaxed me. Had you forgotten I am one of those rain loving freaks? lol. I was reminded of a soup I made when we were on our road trip. We were staying in a converted cow shed (no, really!) on the wonderful Isle of Skye. The kitchen set up was..interesting...but the cupboards were stocked with the most amazing dinner service. Not a mass production set but one from a local pottery. For me I was in pottery heaven..lol. However one major draw back was that it was so heavy and when making a pot of tea I couldn't lift the damn thing. Ah well..the very tea pot is featured in the photo today. The pottery is the Edinbane Pottery and we took some time out to visit the studio and I was blown away by how amazing the work was. If you ever visit Isle of Skye pay it a visit because the talents of Stuart and Julie should be experienced once in a lifetime (or more if you are me! lol). I felt a profound sense of peace as I looked at every single piece...just lovely. 

I had purchased a hand tied bunch of fresh herbs which was extremely pungent. I wanted a hot bowl of soup that day as it was kinda chilly despite the bright sunshine bursting in every window. I had been having green smoothies and salads for most of the road trip as that was most convenient on our travels. I was ready for a hot steamy bowl of savoury goodness. I didn't have a lot of fresh produce to hand so went with what I had. And I was really pleased with it. The herbs were most definitely the star and the potato made for silky texture. Its a basic and humble soup and I am happy with that. 

Rocket & Roses Thyme, Sage and Potato Soup
 

Rocket & Roses Thyme, Sage and Potato Soup   Serves 2
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 very large white onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 1/2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 handful chopped fresh thyme
1 handful chopped fresh sage
freshly ground black pepper
freshly ground Himalayan salt
1 1/2 - 2 pints veggie stock

Gently saute the onions in the oil until softened. Add in the garlic, cook for a further minute or until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the potatoes and herbs, stir well. Cook, stirring frequently, for five minutes then add the veggie stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes have gone very soft and the onions are extremely soft. Blend the soup until smooth and reason to taste. Serve sprinkled with extra fresh herbs. 

Enjoy! 

The entrance to our Isle of Skye digs..not too shabby for a cow shed, eh? lol

Thanks for stopping by and your continued understanding but I am pleased to report I am clocking up a good amount of time back in the kitchen. Phew! I hope your week has started well and is filled with happy moments...

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation. I have no problem with you using this recipe or sharing it. I simply ask that you give credit where it's due as I always try to. Many thanks...Namaste. ~R~