Thursday 3 July 2014

Rocket & Roses Black Noodle Stir Fry with Cashew Drizzle (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Transvision Vamp ~ Baby I Don't Care
Bob Marley ~ Trenchtown Rock 
Dave Matthews Band ~ Recently
Sandi Thom ~ I'm A Human Being
Xtina ~ Underappreciated
The Pretty Reckless ~ Heaven Knows
The Rolling Stones ~ The Last Time
Toyah ~ Now I'm Running
QOTSA ~ God Is On The Radio
Norah Jones ~ What Am I To You?
Them Crooked Vultures ~ Spinning In Daffodils
Bruce Springsteen ~ Rosalita 
Foo Fighters ~ Monkey Wrench
Republica ~ Drop Dead Gorgeous

This strikingly beautiful bowl of goodness was the runner up recipe for my Suma post. I selected the King Soba Black Noodles as part of my shopping basket. Funny things as I admit I chose them for the novelty of having black noodles but when cooked they turn purple! Good to know for future reference. lol. Apparently the black rice used to make them, goes purple so therefore so does the noodle. And to be honest I kinda liked the fact I had a bowl of purple noodles just as much as if they had been black. Small things...I know! lol. I am becoming a huge fan of King Soba's gluten-free noodles as I use their buckwheat noodles practically every day but it will nice to have an alternative. 

For the stir fry I wanted to keep the veggies simple and to cook them off quickly. I wanted a creamy sauce to go with them instead of the usual oil/soy dressing. Of course my thoughts drifted straight to the humble cashew nut and with the help of a minimal soaking and my trusty mini blender I soon had a fully flavoured creamy drizzle for the veggies and noodles.

The noodles are similar to the buckwheat variety in as much as they are substantial enough to feel satisfied after eating them but they don't sit heavy in your tum. They held together well and mixed well with the veggies which were perfectly tender/crisp. The cashew drizzle distributed evenly through the mix and held on to the noodles perfectly. The many textures and differing layers of flavour made this dish so good. I hope you give it a try...many thanks to Suma for providing the noodles.


Rocket & Roses Black Noodle Stir Fry with Cashew Drizzle


Rocket & Roses Black Noodle Stir Fry with Cashew Drizzle    Serves 2
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 batch of King Soba Black Noodles (V & GF), cooked to packet instructions, cooled
1 cup of mooli/diakon, peeled and then fine juliennes to creat noodles

1 tsp sunflower oil
1 cup of carrot noodles 
5 purple spring onions, trimmed and left whole
1 head of baby pak choy, trimmed and rinsed well
4 baby sweetcorn, rinsed and sliced in half
1 small courgette, trimmed and cut into half moons
8 sugar snap peas, trimmed and left whole
1 hot red chilli, sliced seeds left in
1" piece of fresh ginger, micro grated
handful of coriander leaves, chopped

Cashew Drizzle:

1/2 cup cashews pieces
juice of half a large lime or 1 small
1 thick slice of jalapeno red chilli (jarred variety not fresh)
1/2 tbsp Braggs or soy sauce/tamari
2 tbsp filtered water
2 tsp sesame oil 

Soak the cashews in enough water to cover them. Leave to one side for at least 30 minutes. Rinse your cooked noodles under fresh cold water to make sure they don't stick together. Add the mooli noodles (raw) into the bowl with the black noodles and toss them together to evenly distribute.

Heat the sunflower oil in a wok and then stir fry the veggies until cooked to your preference. Approx 5 minutes. 

Drain the soaked cashews and add then to a blender and blitz down to a paste. Add the lime juice, chilli, Braggs, water and sesame oil. You will have a thin drizzle...pour into small jug and set to one side. 

When the veggies are cooked turn off the heat but toss the noodles into the mix. When all the ingredients are evenly mixed and the noodles are warmed through serve with a drizzle of the sauce over the top. Using as little or as much as you want of the drizzle. 

Enjoy! 

Holiday Post Card of The Day...

ML & I escaped for a couple of hours and took the scenic route to Windermere...as always it was breathtaking
Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday has been a great one...

~Red~

NB: This is my creation and I have no problem with you using the recipe or sharing it as long as you give credit where it's due as I always try too..Many thanks. Namaste ~R~